Apple dump cake is a simple and delicious dessert that can be made with just a few ingredients and minimal effort. It’s a great option for those who love the flavor of apple pie, but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen preparing it.
If you have just a handful of ingredients and 5 minutes to prep it, you’ll be enjoying this sweet fall inspired treat in no time. What I love the most about these, they use a boxed yellow cake mix. Three ingredients and you have a tasty dessert. Apple not your favorite? Then use peach pie filling instead of apple pie filling. They are versatile and easy and very tasty.
Items needed to bake this
- Canned fruit in syrup or pie filling
- Cake mix
- 9×9 Oven Safe Dish
In the fall, we get to pick apples from a friends tree. If that is not available, we get a bushel from the local apple orchard. I peel and core the apples and then slice them. Add the following items to a freezer storage bag:
- 4 medium apples
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
Pull out a freezer bag and thaw and use it like you would canned apple pie filling. I will dump a bag into a pre-made refrigerated pie crust and make a quick apple pie.
This recipe can also be cooked in a slow cooker. Add the apple pie filling, dry cake mix and then the melted butter to a 5 qt slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours. Spoon out the cake and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whip cream. You can even sprinkle powdered sugar or drizzle with some caramel topping first.
Apple Dump Cake
- 2 15oz Cans of Apple Pie Filling
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix do NOT prepare. dry mix only
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a well greased 9×9 baking dish, add the apple pie filling to the dish.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon on top then add the dry cake mix over the top evenly.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe dish and pour evenly over the top of the dry cake mix.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven.
- Cook at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
More recipes to try: