Apple Pie Cake
I love the ease of using a dry yellow cake mix and a few ingredients to make a dessert that everyone will love. I had a few extra apples laying around that I wanted to use up and this recipe came to mind.
Don’t want to cut up the apples yourself? Substitute a can of apple pie filling for the apple mixture ingredients. Spoon the canned apple pie filling evenly over the top of the cake mix.
I took a pan of these to work to share with my co-workers. Everyone loved these bars. I recommended heating these up for about 20-25 seconds in the microwave. This warms the apples and makes them all that much better.
This recipe can be doubled with ease. These would be great for a church function or donation to the school bake sale.
Frugal tip: Look for a good sale on yellow cake mixes and buy a few extra. I like to combine a good sale with coupons to bring the cost of brand name cake mixes to around $.50-$.65 each. I use that as my stock-up price and keep them in my pantry.
More recipes like this:
Apple Pie Cake
- 1 Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 1/3 Cups Water
- 1/3 Cup vegetable oil
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 6 Green Apples cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Light or Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Light or Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 baking pan with spray coking oil.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the ingredients for the cake batter. Pour the batter into the 13x9 baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the ingredients for the apple mixture. Add spoonfuls of this mixture on top of the batter spreading it out as much as possible.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the ingredients for the crumb topping. Spread this evenly over the top of the apples and cake batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the middle has set.
- Remove and cool. Serve and enjoy.