This is my mother’s recipe. I remember being little and my mom taking the older bananas that no one would eat and mashing them up to make this bread. We would eat it warm straight out of the oven. Once we got a microwave, we would warm it in the microwave and put a little butter on it.
Now, I make this for my kids and they eat it just like my sisters and I use to do. My kids love it when I add chocolate chips in the banana bread and eat it for a snack.
I am very spoiled because of this recipe and am now very particular about what I will eat and what I will not eat. I have had people give me their recipe and make me a sample and tell me how good their recipe is. But it never compares to this recipe. This is a very moist banana bread and full of flavor.
This recipe makes two loafs. I normally freeze one loaf and save it for another time. The kids eat the first loaf within a day or two.
A little tidbit of information for making this recipe. Bananas freeze nicely. There are times I do not have time to make the bread but the bananas that are sitting on the kitchen counter are past being ripe. I remove the peels and put three bananas into a quart size freezer bag and label the bag and place it in the freezer. When I am ready to make this recipe or any recipe that uses ripe bananas, I remove the bag from the freezer and allow it to thaw.
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 Medium Bananas mashed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a hand mixer until all the ingredients are combined.
- Add in the mashed bananas and mix well with a hand mixer.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and remove the bread from the pan.
- Slice and serve.