Banana Crumb Muffins are delicious little muffins topped with tons and tons of crumb topping! These are perfect for a healthy breakfast or a tasty little snack! A great recipe to use up those extra bananas.
This is one of those recipes that the whole family loves and one that can be in the oven in under 15 minutes.
Why Do You Use Overripe Bananas in Baking
Those brown bananas that no one will eat, they are naturally sweeter thus making it perfect for baking. The starches in the bananas begin to convert to sugar. Don’t throw those bananas away! Have too many of those brown bananas? Remove the banana peels and put three of the bananas in a freezer bag. Store them in the freezer for up to 3 months to use.
Banana Crumb Muffins
- 1 12 count muffin tin
- 3 medium Bananas ripe and mashed
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large Egg
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 12 count muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the mashed bananas and brown sugar together. Add in the vegetable oil, egg and lemon juice and again mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredient to the wet ingredients and combine.
- In a third bowl, add the ingredients for the crumb topping. Use a fork to cut the butter in and then use your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the prepared pan filling each about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of each muffin until fully covered.
- Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and remove them from the muffin tin. Cool the muffins on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.