Soups are best served…well in all honesty, I could eat soup just about every day. One of my favorite soups is the ever popular Broccoli and Cheese Soup. I love the creamy texture of the soup with the contrast of the bigger pieces of broccoli. This is a perfect soup to eat with a slice of French Bread or just some oyster crackers.
- chopped carrots or fresh baby spinach
- add in minced garlic, fresh basil, parsley or rosemary
- smoked gouda cheese
- top with a little ground nutmeg, chopped green onions, or sour cream
- diced or chopped white potato
- chopped walnuts
Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium Yellow Onion diced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets coursely chopped
- 1 cup carrots match-stick cut
- 1 stalk celery thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute in hot butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk 1/4 cup melted butter and flour together in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Continue to whisk and cook , adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk if necessary to keep the flour from burning, 3 to 4 minutes
- Slowly pour milk into flour mixture while whisking constantly. Stir chicken stock into milk mixture. Bring to a simmer; cook until mixture is thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrots, sauteed onion, and celery; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir Cheddar cheese into simmering soup until cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.