I’ve been trying out various recipes like Cheesy Easy Burritos because my son absolutely loves burritos. He’s home all day right now doing remote high school so I have to keep track of everything he’s eating. If I let him, he will eat burritos for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We go through a lot of packages of the frozen burritos but I would prefer he have a homemade choice as possible. These put together quickly, easily and are easy to reheat.
I need a large saucepan, wooden spoon and nice large 13×9 inch casserole dish. I often use leftover rice. I’ve used chicken flavored rice, long grain rice and even minute rice. It all works. You could even swap out canned beans or canned corn instead of rice. If you prefer to not use Velveeta you can replace with 1 1/2 Cups of shredded cheddar or colby/cheddar mix tightly packed. A little bit of precooked chicken or pork would be a great addition as well.
We use a mild chunky salsa because that is what my children like. If you want a hotter burrito use the hottest salsa you can find. They also make a Mexican Mild and Mexican Hot Velveeta that would be a great way to add some spunk. I have even made it using my homemade Slow Cooker refried beans instead of canned refried beans.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Tacos is another great Frugal recipe to try!
Cheesy Easy Burritos
- 1 Can (16 oz) Refried Beans
- 1 1/2 cups Velveeta
- 1/3 cup Cream Cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 Cup cooked rice
- 12-16 tortillas I picked mid size (we used flour).
- 1 1/2 Cup Shredded Colby and Jack Cheese
- Dried Ground Paprika
- Cooking Spray
- Sour Cream & Lettuce to garnish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a saucepan melt the Velveeta Cheese on medium low (make sure it doesn't burn by stirring constantly). When it's melting, add the cream cheese and continue to stir.
- Once melted add the salsa, refried beans and cooked rice and mix well. Take off burner. Spray your casserole dish with cooking spray.
- With a spoon or measuring cup, pour approximately 1/2 to 1/3 cup of mixture onto your tortilla. Fold the sides in over the mixture and fold both top and bottom underneath and place the seam at the bottom if possible.
- Remember you can push the burritos a bit to fit in all that you are needing to put into the casserole dish. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and a bit of paprika. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.