Tasty and delicious Chicken Enchilada Soup for lunch or dinner is an easy meal to make and the end result is full of flavor. I love that this soup can be made in under 20 minutes and is made from items in your pantry.
This soup is tasty topped with tortilla strips, sliced or chopped avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, or even a little pico de gallo. This soup is full of vegetables and beans in every bite. One bowl is plenty to fill anyone up.
Serve this with a basket of toasted tortillas. Add corn tortillas to a dry skillet over medium heat. Allow the tortillas to toast ever so slightly until the edges are slightly brown, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Add the warm tortillas to a basket lined with a cloth napkin. Serve the warm tortillas with this soup.
Frugal Cooking Tips:
- During the summer months, I have a few friends that give me fresh grown sweet corn. What we do not eat off the cob, I either freezer or pressure can the rest. Fresh sweet corn makes the best canned corn. Waste not.
- Canned beans are a winter stock up item for me. Around the time that stores promote cooking chili is when I find canned beans on sale. I try and pair name brand canned beans with coupons otherwise store brand is just as good.
- Leftover chicken is the best in these types of recipes. But if you have no leftover chicken, substituting canned chicken will work. Or cook up two or three chicken breasts and then shred prior to adding to soup.
More recipes to try:
Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 Medium White Onion diced
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 Cup Corn Flour
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 10 oz Can Red Enchilada Sauce
- 14 oz Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 10 oz Sweet Corn drained
- 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 4 oz Chopped Green Chiles
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is cooked and translucent. Stir in the corn flour and cook for an additional one minute.
- Pour in the chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Add in the cooked chicken, enchilada sauce, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, green chiles, salt and cumin. Stir until combined.
- Heat over medium heat until the soup reaches a simmer. Let the soup simmer for 3 minutes stirring slowly.
- Add in the cheese and stir until combined.
- Serve with toppings of tortilla strips, sliced avocado, shredded cheese or sour cream.