Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake is one of those recipes that you think “how can this be good in this combination of ingredients”. I never thought putting Ricotta Cheese in a cake would be any good. Boy was I wrong!
I had recently made a lasagna for dinner and had purchased a larger container of Ricotta cheese at one of our box stores. I hate to waste anything and needed a way to use this cheese up. Talking to my sister, she told me about this cake that I might want to try.
Before I put the chocolate chips in the batter, I toss the chips with a tablespoon of flour. The flour will keep the chips from falling to the bottom of the cake. The chips will be more even through out the entire cake. A chip in every bite!
The end result was a moist and delicious cake full of chips and flavor.
Frugal Cooking Tips:
- Ricotta cheese comes in a 16 oz container locally. I either double up this recipe to try and use all the cheese or I make one batch of this recipe and use the remaining cheese to make a lasagna or stuffed shells. Never let anything go to waste if you can use it first.
- Do not make recipes on a whim. Plan out what you want to cook based on supplies on hand and what is on sale.
- Always have a purchase price for items you use on a regular basis. This is the best price possible and your stock up price.
More recipes like this:
Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Ricotta Cheese drained of any excess liquid
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips dusted with flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolk and sugar until creamy and light.
- Add the vanilla and the ricotta cheese and beat to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
- Cool and remove from the pan. Slice and enjoy.
- pour chocolate chips into a bowl and toss with a tablespoon of flour. This will help suspend the chips in the batter and keep them from falling to the bottom.