This Cream of Spinach soup is easy to make and surprisingly tasty! I have a love for fresh spinach and enjoy cooking many different types of foods and meals that use fresh spinach as an ingredient. My kids might not enjoy it as much as I do, but I try to sneak it into the foods I know they will eat, if I can.
I used a Dutch Oven for this recipe, but if you do not have a Dutch Oven, a deep sauce pan or other similar pan will work just fine.
I served the Cream of Spinach soup with a little slice of French Bread. Oyster crackers or saltines are also an option. The creaminess of the soup makes it a nice starter for a bigger meal. I was surprised that the soup has a small amount of ingredients, but the end result packs a lot of flavor.
I did have some soup leftover that I packed in an airtight container in the fridge for lunch the following day. The soup did reheat nicely, and retained all it’s flavor. I am not a huge fan of freezing soups, especially ones with dairy products in them. The dairy tends to separate when frozen and no amount of stirring will return the soup to it’s former glory.
This recipe has grated parmesan cheese in it. But when it comes time to serve the soup, sprinkle a little freshly grated parmesan cheese on top. Parmesan cheese always adds more depth to the flavor of soups and fresh parmesan cheese has a different flavor then the bagged shredded cheese.
Cream of Spinach Soup
- dutch oven
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 pound spinach leaves
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream or half and half
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- pinch grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and saute until softened and fragrant.
- Add the flour and stir to combine, cooking for about a minute.
- Next, add in the fresh spinach and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, chicken broth, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
Other recipes you might like: