Trying to be frugal, I’ve been using up all the stashed away food I have placed in our deep freeze. I found the sausage and knew what I needed to make. A creamy, rich Chicken Sausage and Pasta dish. The heavy cream creates a rich and creamy sauce. . With no flour added, it’s not a white sauce but deliciously just as good. Heavy Whipping Cream (and broth) are an easy, extremely filling combination to make a cream sauce. It makes the sauce carb free too. Use zoodles or low carb pasta for a low carb version of the dish.
What kind of Sausage should I use?
I used a specialty apple chicken smoked sausage, similar to kielbasa from the grocery store. Typically commercially sold smoked sausage, at big box grocery stores, is listed and sold interchangeably with their kielbasa. However at a butcher, in certain ethnic areas or specialty stores you can get a more authentic smoked sausage, kielbasa and other polish sausage. Typically they are in casings and many are not raw. Some are much more like ground sausage (and definitely raw), and some look more like a pepperoni when sliced. I picked one that was gluten and nitrate free.
What if I don’t have Chicken Sausage on hand to use?
This dish is really flexible, so feel free to swap out with any other smoked sausage that you have. You can also use ground sausage, stewed steak, cooked chicken or even vegetarian sausage. I have been using smoked sausage, in our meals, more often, because it’s cheaper than ground hamburger and with our expensive economy I do whatever I can to be frugal with our meals!
What kind of pan should I use?
Creamy Chicken Sausage and Pasta recipe is cooked first on the stove top , Once it’s been cooked, you add the cheese and broil to melt the cheese. You’ll need a skillet pan that can accommodate both or pour the meal from a skillet to an oven safe dish. I’ve listed down below what kind of skillets will work for both stove and broil. Because we are using the broiler, glass lids and glass dishes cannot be used. They are not safe with a broiler. Also Silicone, wood or rubber handles are not oven safe. Lastly non stick skillets should not go under the broiler. We only broil for a few minutes with the door open the entire time. Those safe skillets are:
- Stainless Steel (choose with a heavy bottom)
- Cast Iron
- Enameled Cast Iron/Dutch Ovens
- Copper Pans
Need more Dinner Ideas?
Slow Cooker Kielbasa and BBQ Beans
Slow Cooker Creamy Hamburger Soup
Cream of Spinach Soup
Roasted Asparagus with Garlic & Parmesan
Creamy Chicken Sausage and Pasta
- 1 Large Oven/Broil Safe Skillet
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Chicken Sausage
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 Stalks Chopped Celery
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Can(14.50z) Diced Tomatoes
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 16 ounces Pasta
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Colby Jack Shredded Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese, Shredded
- Prep Onions, Celery and Garlic. Slice the Sausage
- With the 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sauté the Sausage, Onions, Celery and Garlic for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the Chicken Broth, Tomatoes(drained), and Heavy Cream. Add the Salt and Pepper that you wish and then add the 16 ounces of pasta. You may need to add more Broth and Heavy Cream if the liquid does not seem adequate to boil the noodles.
- Cook on simmer per package on noodles al dente. Periodically stir the sauce so it does not stick to the bottom or scald.
- Remove the pan from the heat, Stir in the Colby Jack Cheese, and spread the Parmesan on top. Place in the oven, broil for 5 minutes, leaving the door cracked open.