I made Easy 1-Pot Sloppy Joes after we found a great deal on buns and I had ground turkey I needed to use from the freezer. With 10 packages of buns I had to come up with something to use all of them up. Grabbed my favorite stainless steel frying pan and went to work.
I had noticed that I had numerous packages of ground turkey in the freezer. I definitely didn’t want them to go to waste. Ground turkey has a bit softer texture when cooked on it’s own, but blends fabulous with other ground meat. It helps lower your fat intake and we had found it for .99 cents a pound. Typically it’s around $3.99 a pound. So right now more affordable than Ground Beef even without the discount. Since my kids are texture sensitive type of kids, I mixed the two meats so they couldn’t tell the difference.
We ate the the dish for days, it’s easy to use for leftovers but it tastes just as good when you’re reheating it.
As typical with my recipes you do not have to follow this recipe exactly. You can use just hamburger, just ground turkey, ground chicken, ground sausage or mix them all up. This recipe can easily be halved or doubled for a bigger batch. If you need to keep it warm for a while, you’ll want to cook the meat and onion on the stove top and then add everything into a slow cooker and mix it up well and keep it on low. That way you can use it for buffets, games or parties.
If you need it gluten free you’ll just need to make sure you’re using gluten free ingredients and then just serve it on a gluten free tortilla or bun (If you can find a good one). Or even just serve on romaine lettuce. This version will work for those needing to reduce carbs in their diet as well.
A great dish that is fabulous with Easy 1-Pot Sloppy Joes : Slow Cooker Kielbasa and BBQ Beans
Easy 1-Pot Sloppy Joes
- 1 Pound Ground Hamburger Browned
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey Browned
- 1 Large Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 Can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Prepared Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Ground Pepper to taste
- Cheese, Lettuce, buns, pickles to eat them with.
- Mostly brown the ground Hamburger and Turkey and drain the grease. Add the diced onions when it’s still just a little bit pink so they can be softened.
- When the onion and Hamburger/Turkey are ready keep on medium low and add the Tomato Sauce, Ketchup, BBQ Sauce, Brown Sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, Molasses, Mustard and stir well. Then add your Garlic Powder and Pepper and mix well. Allow it to warm up until the tomato sauce is bubbling.
- Can be served on buns, with cheese, lettuce, pickles or just on the buns itself.
More Recipes to Love
Beef & Turkey Low-Fat Meatloaf