A great stove top dinner hit! This Easy Cheesy Broccoli soup recipe is easy to put together and kid friendly. Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup is a mix of fresh onions, carrots, broccoli and shredded cheese added to cheddar cheese condensed soup, spices and rice.
What do I do if my kids won’t eat broccoli?
Typically one of the easiest ways to get kids to eat veggies is by being a little sneaky since children may not prefer veggies due to their texture and/or flavor. For this recipe, the cheese has a great, smooth taste so the broccoli flavor isn’t overwhelming. As for the texture, the smaller I chop the broccoli, the less my kids notice. I’ve even pulverized the broccoli, carrots and onions in our food processor and they think they are spices.
This soup isn’t from scratch?
This soup is family friendly because I can easily have the ingredients on hand. It’s also easy to put together and the taste is calm enough that my kids love it. If you’re itching to make a soup totally from scratch we have a delicious Instant Pot Broccoli Cheesy Rice Soup recipe you can try instead.
What rice should I use?
The advantage of this recipe is you can easily use what you have or what you normally use for the rice. I personally find Success Rice or the generic version is easiest for me to cook correctly. I don’t want to be stressed with long grain rice and hope I’ve cooked it correctly . Of course, Minute rice can be used as well, but it just tastes inferior to me now. Do you need to lower the carbs? You can even skip the rice as the soup will taste just as good.
Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- 1 10 qt saucepan doesn't need to be exactly this size, just large
- 1 6 qt saucepan again, doesn't need to be exactly this size
- 1 microwave
- 1 Reynolds Zip n' Steam Bag
- 4 Cans (3/4 oz) Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 2 Cans Water I filled the empty soup cans
- 1-2 Heads Fresh Broccoli Frozen could be used as well
- 4 Cups Milk (can replace 1 cup of milk with heavy whipping cream, to lower carbs)
- 1 Yellow Onion, shredded
- 1 Carrot, shredded
- 2 Bags Success Rice, White cook 2 cups if using a different method.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4th tsp Pepper
- 1 cup Chopped Canadian Bacon
- 4 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese also can use gouda, parmesan, colby jack, etc.
- 2` tsp Chicken Pollo I use Chef Merito Brand
- dash Ground Paprika
- Shred the carrots and onion, and chop the broccoli to the size you need.
- Begin to cook approximately 2 cups of rice. Since I use Success Rice, I used 2 bags. Once cooked, drain and just hold off to the side until the end.
- The carrots and onion you'll sauté' with the butter in the largest saucepan to soften it.
- Place the broccoli in the ziploc steam bag and follow the instructions on the bag. You can steam it a different way if you prefer.
- Once the onions/carrots are ready add the broccoli, 4 cans of condensed cheddar cheese soup and the water in the larger saucepan. Cook the soup, heating it to boiling and reduce to medium and cook for 8 minutes while it continues to cook. Stir well during this to keep the soup from burning or scalding at the bottom.
- Then add the milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground mustard, Canadian Bacon and milk and continue to stir while heating it, so it doesn't scald or burn, for 5 minutes. If adding a cup of heavy whipping cream, wait to add that.
- Now stir in the shredded cheese while continuing to stir for another few minutes. Add the heavy whipping cream if you are choosing that ingredient. Stir in the drained rice. Finally add the Paprika and Chicken Pollo on top and serve.