The dish Frito Taco Casserole is a fun recipe that my family enjoys. I make a pan of it when I have some Fritos that need to be used up. This is one of those great recipes where you can add different ingredients if you wish to liven it up. Black beans, kidney beans, or green chili’s would work great. You can also use Fiesta corn, spicy refried beans or even Rotel instead of Salsa in a pinch. Whatever you think your family will eat.
You can eat the casserole just as it is, with some toppings or you can scoop it up with tortilla chips or wrap in a corn tortilla. Flexible is the key. I used chicken flavored rice that I had on hand. Any leftover rice will work.
I used my largest casserole dish, it’s not too fancy but it gets the job done. It’s similar to this one. I prefer it over my glass casserole dish because it’s deeper. I also used my new chopper to dice up the onions. It’s nice how quickly it works!
Frito Taco Casserole is a great comfort food that is a great way to use up leftovers, so very frugal, and yet your family will love it.
In the mood for burritos instead? We have a great Easy Beef & Bean Burrito Recipe.
Frito Taco Casserole
- 1 1/2 Pounds Hamburger, browned
- 1 Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1 Taco Seasoning Packet
- 1 1/2 Cups Salsa
- 1 Can Corn, Drained
- 1/4th Cup Water
- 2 Cups Rice Any kind, leftovers even work
- 1 Can Refried Beans
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded Colby or Colby Jack would work too
- 2 Cups Frito Chips
- Extra Shredded Cheese for topping
- Sour Cream for topping
- Pam Spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown the Hamburger and soften the onion. Drain the fat.
- Add Taco Seasoning, Salsa, Corn and Water. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the rice, refried beans, and cheese. Carefully mix .
- In a greased 9 x 11 casserole dish pour the taco meat, beans, mixture and spread evenly.
- Top with 1 cup of the Frito's and bake for 30 minutes at 350. Sprinkle with extra shredded cheddar cheese and bake another 5 minutes. Pull out of oven and cover with the other cup of fritos.