I made Instant Pot Creamy Chicken & Rice after finding a huge stash of long grain rice that I had forgotten about. I hate wasting food. Long grain rice is a great staple that stores well, thus I knew I could squeeze some frugality into this meal. Used a tomato from the fridge, some baby carrots that needed to be used up and chicken in the freezer. Viola!
Although this recipe can use many substitutes be sure to not use “Minute” type rices. That kinds of rice will cook too fast. I have not tried this recipe doubled, but I would be wary unless you can get all the fluid in. You do not want the rice to burn or be crispy. This recipe can also be used without the sour cream. You may want to add some cheese to add some richness to it however.
I use the Instant Pot 6 quart, and have now used all of the functions except the yogurt feature (give me time!). It’s so nice to have an option of not prepping hours before. This recipe didn’t take too much work, other then slight chopping, sauteing and shredding chicken, so it’s my kind of recipe!
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken & Rice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 Cup Long Grain White Rice Uncooked
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Diced Carrots
- 1 Large Tomato Diced Can also use a red bell pepper
- 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts Thawed
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- Tortilla Chips
- With the Saute function of your IP, saute the chopped onions in the tablespoon of olive oil for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn the Saute function off or unplug IP. Add the Paprika, Oregano and Garlic Salt and stir in well.
- Add the 2 Cups of Chicken Broth and then the rice.
- Add the Diced Tomato and Carrots and mix well.
- Place the chicken on top of the rice mixture, cover with the liquid and sprinkle salt and pepper on them. Close and seal lid.
- Replug the machine and/or turn back on and push the manual button (or Pressure Cook) and set the time for 8 minutes on high.
- Once it has cooked through, allow it to decompress for 10 minutes. Then release pressure,, remove lid. Check to make sure chicken is cooked, and then remove chicken so you can shred it.
- In a mixing or serving bowl add the shredded chicken, rice and veggies and add the 2 teaspoons of chili powder and any additional salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the sour cream and fold in well. It is now ready to serve with the tortilla chips.