Instant Pot Salsa Chicken is an amazingly easy, tasty dish. We like it because it’s extremely versatile and you don’t need to keep anything special ingredients on hand. I like having meals I can plan with simple ingredients, so we don’t go out to fast food restaurants. This dish takes 30 minutes to cook (10 minutes to get to pressure, 10 minutes to cook, 10 minutes to naturally release pressure) yet I don’t have to do anything for nearly all of it.
One of my frugal tricks is to keep homemade taco seasoning on hand. The ingredients are easy to put together and all you’ll need is a bowl to mix them and a jar with lid to pour them into. The homemade taco recipe:
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder (no salt)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt (sea salt if possible)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Paprika (smoked if possible)
- 1 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp. Ground Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper flakes (pinch or omit for mild)
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper (omit for mild)
The Instant Pot Salsa Chicken base can be used in various meals. Obviously you can use it on its own. You can also add it to rice, pasta, or use it in tacos or burritos. Try adding melted cream cheese or sour cream to smooth out the flavor. Even try making it with hot salsa and then use that chicken in chicken chili, chicken taco soup and even casseroles.
You will need an Instant Pot, Bowl, Shredders, Bulk Taco Seasoning, Jar with lid, Smoked paprika, and measuring spoons. If you need salt free taco seasoning.
Another yummy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup Recipe!
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- 3-4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts Approximately 2.5 pounds
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning Can also use 2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning
- Salt/Pepper to season to taste
- 16 Ounces salsa On the liquid side is better. Do not drain.
- Toppings & Tortillas
- Sprinkle Salt and Pepper onto all sides of the chicken Breasts.
- Pour 8 Ounces of Salsa into the Bottom of the Instant Pot, Lay Chicken Breasts into the pot onto the Salsa.
- Sprinkle the 2 Tablespoons of Taco Seasoning over the chicken.
- Pour the rest of the Salsa over the chicken. (add a couple splashes of water or chicken broth if your salsa is dry or extremely thick).
- Seal your lid on your Instant Pot and push the steam release knob into the sealing position.
- With your Manual button add 10-12 minutes. It will take approximately 10 minutes to reach pressure. 10-12 minutes to cook and then allow it to naturally release for another 10 minutes.
- Tap the steam release knob to make sure all the rest of the steam has left. When it's no longer releasing steam out the vent, it should be good to open. Check the chicken at that point to make sure it's cooked thoroughly.
- Remove the chicken, place in a large bowl and shred. Serve by itself, pasta, rice, tacos or anything else you can think of. Add the salsa and extra liquid back to the shredded chicken and it's ready to serve. If there is too much liquid, you can add all back to the instant pot and sauté for just a few minutes to cook off some of the fluid.