Fresh Jalapenos are sliced in half and filled with a rich creamy cheese filling and topped with a crisp Panko topping. Easy to make and a tasty appetizer. Everyone will love the Jalapeno Poppers!
How to Cut a Jalapeno
Whatever you do, wear gloves while handling the jalapenos. The oils from these peppers can cause burning in small cuts and burn your eyes and other places on your face. I like to put on gloves, slice the pepper lengthwise, and then use a spoon or my fingers to remove the seeds on the inside.
The spice in the jalapenos is found in the pepper’s seed and inner membranes. Removing the seeds and those membranes before using the peppers will reduce the “heat” in the peppers. If you like that “heat”, leave the seeds and membrane.
How Long to Bake the Jalapeno Poppers
Bake them for about 20-25 minutes in the oven. You want the jalapenos to start to soften but you do not want them too soft. It makes them hard to pick up. but, you want the cream cheese filling to begin to bubble and the tops start to brown.
- 1 8oz Cream Cheese at room temperature
- 12 Jalapeno Pepper halved and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter melted
- On a cutting board, cut the jalapenos in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to remove the seeds from the inside. WEAR GLOVES!
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and garlic powder with a fork.
- Use a spoon to fill the the jalapeno halves with the cream cheese filling.
- In a second bowl, melt the butter. Mix the panko crumbs in the butter until all the panko is covered with the butter. Sprinkle this on top of the cream cheese filled jalapenos.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Place the filled jalapenos on a cookie sheet. Cook for 22-25 minutes or until the panko begins to brown and the cream cheese bubbles.
- Serve hot.