Layer Chili Bake is a super easy and tasty comfort dish that your family will love. It’s a great recipe to use up leftover chili, or you can use a large can from your pantry. You’ll need a couple of smaller bags of Frito’s or with a large bag, just spread enough on the bottom. For a spicy dish be sure to use a hot salsa, fiesta corn, and spicy chili.
As with most of my recipes you can swap out many of the ingredients with what your family prefers. Black Beans could be used instead of Kidney Beans. A can of Rotel could be used in a pinch for salsa. Use any cheese you want. As long as it will melt, it will work. I didn’t precook the onions, however if your family would prefers mild onions, fry them on the stove top for a few minutes to cook them down.
Layer Chili Bake can easily be doubled. I used my Pioneer Woman casserole dish, similar to these ones. Mine is about a 6 by 4 sized dish. Other casserole dish sizes like 8 by 8 or 9 by 9 would work too. To double the recipe use a 9 by 13 casserole dish. This dish would also be a great dish to give away if you need a meal for a new mother, or someone whose been under the weather. All they would need to do is pop it in the oven to bake it. Use a disposable aluminum pan to make things easy for clean up.
Another fun recipe that uses a can of chili. Slow Cooker Chili Cheese Dip.
Layer Chili Bake
- 1 (15 oz) Can Chili Or approximately 2 cups of fresh chili
- 2 (2 oz) bag Fritos This doesn’t need to be exact
- 1 Can (16 oz) Kidney Beans Drained
- 1/4th Cup Salsa
- 1 (15 oz) Can Corn, Drained
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Yellow Onion, Diced You can cook down for a few minutes in a frying pan if you choose.
- 8 ounces Cheese, shredded Cheddar or Colby
- Pam Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pan with Pam cooking spray.
- This is a layered bake. First layer is the fritos.
- Next Mix the chili and kidney beans and then spread it over the fritos.
- Next mix the corn, salsa, onion and sour cream and then spread over the chili.
- Cover with the cheese and then bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted.