Lemon Buddies! The tangy taste of lemon with a sweet taste of chocolate mixed in one. This is a great snack to include with lunches and to take along with car rides! I love trying new snack mixes using Chex cereal.
This is a recipe I made for my good friend that loves lemon bars! Lemon bars are her favorite dessert item. I wanted her to have that lemon bar flavor but in a bite size snack! And this Lemon Buddies snack is the snack for her. Each bite is full of lemon flavor and has the added sweetness of the powdered sugar and the chocolate.
This recipe is best made using a fresh lemon. Slice the lemon in half and squeeze the juice out of the lemon. Set this aside for the recipe. Then grate the peel for the lemon zest. I tend to add a little more zest to my recipe just to add a little more flavor.
Store these Lemon Buddies in either a gallon size ziploc or in a airtight container. I remember growing up, my best friend’s mother always made the classic muddy buddies recipe and kept it in a tin container for us kids to use to snack on.
- 9 cups Chex Cereal rice or corn
- 1 1/4 cups vanilla baking chips melted
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon peel grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chips, butter, lemon peel and juice uncovered on High 1 minute. Stir and microwave for an additional 30 seconds or until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Measure the cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the top of the cereal stirring as you add. Continue to stir until all the cereal is covered in melted chocolate.
- Pour 1 cup powdered sugar into a gallon ziploc bag. Add half the cereal into the bag and close. Shake vigorously until all the cereal is covered in powdered sugar. Spread the cereal on a piece of waxed paper and spread out. Add the remaining powdered sugar and cereal to ziploc and repeat.
- Once cereal is cool and dry, store in a sealed container or ziploc bag for up to 7 days.
More recipes to love: