This last summer I had a plethora of individual boxed cereal so to use some of it, I made Marshmallow Cereal Mix Treats. We had so much cereal because, as so many families across the world experienced, we had breakfast and lunch provided each day since the kids could not be in School. Two of the kinds of cereals we had quite a bit of was Reese’s Peanut Butter Puffs and Cocoa Puffs so it was time to make a dessert out of them. We couldn’t keep up with them otherwise.
The key to this recipe is you are using 7 cups of cereal with 2 kinds of cereal coming to that 7 cups. Some cereal compliments each other and will make a better treat.
Besides the Reese’s Peanut Butter Puffs & Cocoa Puffs.
Frosted Cheerios and Fruity Cheerios
Regular Rice Krispies and Fruity Pebbles
Regular Rice Krispies and Cocoa Krispies
Rice And Corn Chex to make a gluten free mix
Honey Kix and Berry Kix
Kix and Froot Loops
Krispix and Lucky Charms
Corn Flakes and Frosted Flakes
Life Cereal and Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Kix and Trix
I’m sure there are plenty more you can put together. You can measure the 7 cups half and half or stagger it more 60/40 or whatever you think will taste best.
If you are needing to make a gluten free Marshmallow Cereal Mixed Treat the Rice and Corn chex are gluten free and several brands of marshmallows are gluten free: Jet Puffed and Doumak Brand: Campfire, Walmart Generic, CVS Generic.
I have tried to use Dandies before and they do not melt.
You will need an 8×8 or 9×5 casserole dish, spatula, saucepan, knife.
Another great frugal dessert. Pumpkin Crumb Cake Muffins.
Marshmallow Cereal Mix Treats
- 6 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Bag (10.5 oz) Marshmallows
- 4 Cups Cereal of your choice
- 3 Cups Of a different, complimentary cereal of your choice
- Cooking Spray
- Melted Chocolate to drizzle if you choose. White/Regular/Semi/Dark
- Lightly grease your baking dish, with cooking spray, (8"x8") or (9"x5") casserole or baking dish and set aside.
- Place Butter in a large pot and melt on medium heat. Once butter is completely melted add the marshmallows and continue to heat until they have all melted. Watch the heat to make sure it doesn't burn Remove from heat.
- Immediately add your mixed cereal. I used two different kinds, but feel free to use 1,2,3 or more that will compliment each other.
- While mixing make sure that all cereal is coated with butter-marshmallow mixture. Melt chocolate (Nestle brand melts the best) and drizzle on top if you choose.
- Allow to set up for at least an hour. It will need to be covered with press and seal after.
- Cut your squares and you're ready.