Garam Masala is a specialty spice found in Asian markets and one of the main ingredient in this Slow Cooker Bombay Potatoes. A good friend of mine gave me a container of it to “make something everyone will love” in the slow cooker. She knows I will enjoy using this to make fabulous meals.
Finding this spice can be hard. You can make it yourself but need a spice mill to grind the harder pieces into a thin powder. Or you can order it online if that is easier for you. I like coming home to packages in the mail and not having to search multiple stores for what I want.
These Slow Cooker Bombay Potatoes are full of flavor and spice and great as a side dish to baked chicken or even a lamb dish.
Homemade Garam Masala Spice Mixture Recipe:
- 2 tablespoons tumeric
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- One tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cardamon
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- One teaspoon fennel seeds
- One teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- Two dried red chili peppers (seeds removed)
- On the stove-top heat a medium sized skillet until hot.
- Toast all the ingredients for the spice mixture to the hot pan and toast until the spices become fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the toasted spices to a spice mill and grind them until they are a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
More recipes to try: