Slow Cooker Brats and Sauerkraut
Brats slow cooked in the crock-pot topped with cooked onions and sauerkraut. Full of flavor and delicious. Top each bun with a slice of Swiss cheese for added flavor. I love making these for a family party. Everything is cooked in the slow cooker, and everything is served out of the same slow cooker!
I chose a Cheddar Brat for this Slow Cooker Brats and Sauerkraut recipe. A regular brat or even a beer brat would work just fine. This all depends on personal preference and what you have on hand.
Frugal Cooking Tips:
- Sauerkraut is sold in the canned good isle. My local dollar store carries the cans. The cans are just enough for this recipe. Remember to rinse the sauerkraut in tap water prior to using.
- Remember to rotate your pantry and put the newer items in back and the older ones in front.
- Slice cheese can be more expensive then the block cheese. Purchase a block of your favorite cheese and slice it to your desired thickness.
- Stock up on cheese when it is on sale. Cheese freezes nicely until use.
- Always keep a piece of paper on the freezer. Write down anything you add to the freezer on the paper and cross off anything you use.
- Commit to making one small change in your house each month that will save you money. Add a little caulk around window seals, make a cloth door draft stopper. It doe not have to be big or expensive, just something to be a little more frugal.
More recipes to try: