One of the easiest ways to flavor a meal for a slow cooker is using a simple bottle of salad dressing. I had found a Sugar Free bottle of Balsamic Vinaigrette and knew it would marinate the meat beautifully. It made a delicious, tender beef roast, with veggies for a one pot meal. The brand I used was Maple Grove Farms as they have some great low carb dressings. They’re oodles of other choices including Newman’s Own, Simple Girl, and quite a few of the regular brands.
To make Simple Slow Cooker Balsamic Roast lower carb you’ll need either a sugar free dressing version (but still watch the carbs), or a regular dressing. Don’t get fat free dressing if you are cutting carbs! Fat free equals more carbs for salad dressing as they replace the fat with sugar.
The veggies in the Balsamic Roast that I picked were ones that I knew would be easy to use. I purchased a bag of the crinkle cut carrots, and I always have onions and celery on hand. If your family loves say potatoes, but avoids celery, just switch it out. Veggies are great that way! Easy to mix and match.
Simple Slow Cooker Balsamic Roast
- 5 Pounds beef roast
- 1 Large Yellow Onion Sliced
- 8 Ounces Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad dressing
- 1.5 Ounce Carrot Wedges Fresh
- 2 Stalks Celery Diced
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
- Cooking Spray
- Use Cooking Spray on inside of crock. Place onion slices at the bottom of the crock.
- Place the beef on the onions. Spread Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder over the Beef on all sides.
- Cover the Beef with most of the Vinaigrette Dressing, Spread the Carrots, Celery and any additional onions and use your remaining Vinaigrette to drizzle over them.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours. You may need to add an additional hour if the beef is frozen. Be sure to use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the beef before serving.