Slow Cooker All American Chili is the chili I make most for my family at home. I also cook it when I need a huge batch for school or sport functions. It’s not a super fancy chili, but that’s what the family loves. I often will use the pre-cooked ground hamburger that I have frozen so that I can make it with even less fuss.
One of the nice things with this chili is it also freezes really quite well. Thus you can freeze leftovers, freeze for upcoming planned meals and it’s great to give others in their time of need. Because I don’t use packet chili seasoning I can make this gluten free quite easily. I just eye ball the spices to make sure they are gluten free and I provide cheese that I shred myself. With a few church members and my children having classmates that have celiacs. They appreciate a chili that is safe for them.
With most of my recipes it can be adapted to your family needs and preferences. You can switch up the beans. You can use chili beans and chopped chili’s. Even add cayenne pepper. I personally like to use whole tomatoes that I have canned from my own garden. With two pounds of meat, you can also easily switch out to chicken, turkey or ground sausage. If you use ground turkey/chicken I use one pound of Hamburger and one pound of the turkey/chicken. Since it has a slightly different texture the hamburger helps hide the difference, Also at the same time it brings down the cost of the meal as ground turkey/chicken are so much cheaper.
I use containers like these to freeze extras that I have. I prefer glass so that the chili can’t stain the container. And when I need to transport the chili in the slow cooker, I use one that I have where the lid attaches to the slow cooker itself. Just to be on the safe side, I set the slow cooker in a large cake pan. when transporting in my vehicle.
You will want to use a 6.5 Slow cooker or larger. If you just don’t have one that large, start out with less beans and only add what will fit. To put Slow Cooker All American Chili together you will need the large Slow cooker, Skillet, spatula, cutting board, knife, measuring cups and spoons, can opener, and ladle.
Another great Bean recipe. Slow Cooker Kielbasa and BBQ Beans.
Slow Cooker All American Chili
- 2 Pounds Extra Lean Ground Beef Browned and grease drained
- 1 Large Yellow Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 Cans (16 oz) Kidney Beans Drained
- 2 Cans (16 oz) Black Beans Drained and Rinsed
- 32 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilis
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander
- 1/2 Teaspoon Oregano Leaves
- 1 Can (16 oz) Corn Drained
- In a large skillet on the stovetop, brown the ground beef, onion and garlic. When the beef is no longer pink, drain the grease off. Pour the Hamburger mixture into the Slow Cooker.
- Add the beans and spices. Add the tomato's with chilis (do not drain) Fold until all the spices are well mixed.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. 30 minutes before serving add the can of corn. Typically you'll want to drain the corn first, if by chance the chili seems too thick, add some of the fluid from the can of corn to help thin the chili a titch.
- Serve with cheese, sour cream and with tortilla chips.