Slow Cooker Baked Potato Chowder is a fun and tasty way to use up a nice big bag of potatoes. I often have a bag on hand because they are affordable, thus keeping our food costs down. The family doesn’t want to have baked potatoes every week so this chowder is a easy way to change up our meals.
You’ll need a few more ingredients than you typically do for Baked Potatoes. I love the extra protein that the cheese cubes and cream cheese add.
This recipe is made easier with an immersion blender. If you don’t have one, you can use a potato masher in a pinch.
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Chowder
- 3 Pounds Potatoes Russet or Idaho, scrubbed and cut in half or thirds
- 1 Small Yellow Onion
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 6-7 Ounces Cheddar Cheese Cubes
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- Green Onions, chopped
- Scrub the Potatoes and chop in half and add to the slow cooker.
- Mince Garlic and add to slow cooker. Add Salt and Pepper.
- Add the Chicken Broth, cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove lid and add the cheese, cream cheese and whipping cream and allow to soften for up to 30 minutes, changing the temperature to low.
- Use your immersion blender to pulverize the potatoes and other ingredients into a thick soup. If you do not have an immersion blender you can use a potato masher. Right before serving add the Chopped Green onions as a garnish.