Garam Masala is a specialty spice found in Asian markets and one of the main ingredient in this Slow Cooker Bombay Potatoes. A good friend of mine gave me a container of it to “make something everyone will love” in the slow cooker. She knows I will enjoy using this to make fabulous meals.
Finding this spice can be hard. You can make it yourself but need a spice mill to grind the harder pieces into a thin powder. Or you can order it online if that is easier for you. I like coming home to packages in the mail and not having to search multiple stores for what I want.
These Slow Cooker Bombay Potatoes are full of flavor and spice and great as a side dish to baked chicken or even a lamb dish.
Homemade Garam Masala Spice Mixture Recipe:
- 2 tablespoons tumeric
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- One tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cardamon
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- One teaspoon fennel seeds
- One teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- Two dried red chili peppers (seeds removed)
- On the stove-top heat a medium sized skillet until hot.
- Toast all the ingredients for the spice mixture to the hot pan and toast until the spices become fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the toasted spices to a spice mill and grind them until they are a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
More recipes to try:
Slow Cooker Bombay Potatoes
- 3 pounds Potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes or equivalent in fresh tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 medium Yellow Onion peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala spice
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat add the olive oil and the mustard seeds and cook the mustard seeds until they begin to pop.
- Add the diced onions to the skillet and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the Garam Masala spice mixture, ground ginger, ground tumeric, ground cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes to the skillet and cook for a 3 to 4 minutes while stirring to really get the spices warmed up and activated.
- Turn the heat off and add the potatoes and diced tomatoes to the skillet and toss them in the spice/onion mixture being sure to coat the potatoes well in the mixture.
- Add the salt and pepper and give it one last stir.
- Pour the potatoes from the skillet into a 6 quart or larger slow cooker and cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on LOW.
- When potatoes are done cooking (fork tender) sprinkle with cilantro if desired for a nice pop of color and fresh flavor.
- Serve and enjoy.