Slow Cooker Cheesy Broccoli n’ Rice is a dish I recently made for Father’s Day. My husband loves Cheesy Broccoli, so I surprised him with one of his favorite dishes.
To make it an easy dish to ensemble Sunday afternoon, I used pre-cut broccoli and cauliflower. I also had the kids in charge of measuring all the ingredients..ha! This can be made with frozen broccoli and cauliflower as well, and the times should be about the same.
For the “cheesy” I used Gouda cheese because my husband loves a more exotic flavor of cheeses. Gouda cheese melts well in the slow cooker too. We also added Cheddar cheese to brighten up the color. Gouda is a pale yellow, whereas Cheddar is a bright orange. Using crackers as the topping I found a sleeve of Club Crackers that I had on hand. Ritz or even corn flakes would work great too.
My preference for cheesy dishes that involve a “cream of soup” is Cream of Celery. This works perfectly for Cheesy Broccoli. The Celery adds a good addition to the creaminess. You can also use Cream of Broccoli, or Cream of Chicken.
As with most of my recipes, Slow Cooker Cheesy Broccoli n’ Rice is not required to be followed exactly. That is one of the many ways we can be frugal. Use what you have on hand, whether you use a different cream of soup, cheese or even veggie!
Another great broccoli recipe from us! Cheesy Gnocchi Broccoli Soup
Slow Cooker Cheesy Broccoli n' Rice
- 5 cups Broccoli Florets I used fresh
- 4 Cups Cauliflower Florets I used fresh
- 2 cans (10.5oz) Cream of Celery Soup Cream of Chicken or Cream of broccoli works too
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Gouda Cheese, Shredded
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1 small Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs or Crunched Crackers
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, divided into several pats
- Pam Spray
- 4 Cups Minute Rice Cooked right before serving
- Mix the soup, Sour Cream, Gouda cheese, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, chopped Onion, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Add the Broccoli and Cauliflower florets to the sauce and mix well. Pour into the mixture into the crock.
- Sprinkle the crackers/bread crumbs over the top of the mixture. Add several pats of butter on the bread crumbs.
- Cook on high for 2 1/2-3 hours. Do not overcook. With 10 minutes remaining lift lid and pour the last 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese over the casserole and recover to let the cheese melt. Cook 4 cups of minute rice on the stove (or do long grain rice in a rice cooker/IP/stove top). Serve the casserole over the rice.