Homemade chicken soup is easy to whip up, but even easier tossing all of your ingredients in a slow cooker and letting the slow cooker do all the work.
Should I cook the chicken before putting it in the soup?
This is not necessary! The slow cooker does all the hard work for you. Use only boneless chicken with the skin and excess fat removed. Once the chicken is cooked, use two forks to shred or chop with a knife into bite size pieces. Add the chicken back into the Slow Cooker Chicken Soup to finish cooking.
If you have cooked chicken to use, this will cut the time for cooking the soup down to 2 hours.
What is the best kind of noodles for this soup?
When I have time, I love making my own homemade egg noodles. But for this soup, any noodles will work: egg noodles, bow ties, rigatoni, or the noodle of your choice.
How do I store the leftovers?
Without the noodles, you can freeze the soup itself. Otherwise, noodles do not freeze well. The best is to store any leftover soup in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days. Pair with a sandwich for a great lunch or use the soup as a side for a meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
- 1 5 qt slow cooker
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4 medium carrots peeled, sliced and cut in half
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground blck pepper
- 4 14.5oz cans of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 8oz package of egg noodles
- In a 5 qt slow cooker, combine chicken, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Pour chicken broth over the top.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with a fork (or chop). Return chicken to slow cooker.
- Cook on low, covered, until noodles are al dente. 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat source and serve.
More recipes to try:
Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Onions