A family favorite is Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup. It’s something I keep all the ingredients on hand, pull chicken out of the freezer and we’re ready. We love eating the soup with sour cream and tortilla chips. It’s a great meal to have for leftovers thus we eat it for days.
I find that the first batch of Chicken Taco Soup soaks up the broth so I always keep extra chicken broth on hand to add later. Any good frugal kitchen will have extra chicken broth on hand or bouillon like Better than Bouillon to use in a pinch.
Chicken Taco Soup is an easy recipe to use with the ingredients you have in your pantry. I don’t always stick with chicken. Pork or beef can be used instead of chicken, as can Turkey. I’ve even used leftover taco meat. couldn’t taste the difference!
For the beans Chickpeas, Red Beans, Chili Beans and white beans can be used. Do you want spicy soup? Add a diced Jalapeno Pepper, and double the chili pepper and cumin. I’ve even made it with just a taco packet before instead of the regular seasonings.
I used a 6 quart Slow Cooker to make the Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup. Be sure to have a good sturdy storage bowl to store your left overs in. This can even be frozen so you can eat your leftovers later. If you do decide to freeze it, wait to add the extra chicken broth until you have thawed it.
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- 3-5 Pounds Fresh Chicken without bones I used tenderloins. Chicken breasts will be great too.
- 3 Cans (14.5 oz each) Chicken Broth Have extra on hand
- 2 Cans (15.5 oz each) Black Beans Rinsed and Drained
- 3 Cans (15.5 oz each) Kidney Beans Drained
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 28 ounce can Stewed Tomatoes Do not drain
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Can (15.5) oz canned corn Drain
- Tortilla Chips
- Bag of Cheese
- Pour the Chicken Broth, Black Beans, Kidney Beans, Chopped Onion, Stewed Tomatoes and Spices into Slow Cooker.
- Add the Raw chicken, Cook on low for 6 hours.
- When you're almost ready to eat, pull the chicken out to shred, dump the drained corn into the slow cooker. Put the chicken into a large mixing bowl and shred with several forks. Place back into the slow cooker to warm back up.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips whenever you're ready! If you have leftovers you may need to add a bit more chicken broth as it will soak up that first amount in the refrigerator.