Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken n Sweet Potatoes is a great one pot recipe this time of year. We often have a bounty of Sweet Potatoes from our garden or a nice find from farmers market that we need to use. The color from the sweet potatoes is beautiful. They are so good for us. The maple syrup and cream cheese combo makes all the ingredients taste amazing.
Did I mention Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken n Sweet Potatoes is a chicken dish? ha ha! It’s not often that the main protein takes second banana to a veggie but that’s how great sweet potatoes are. With the great vitamins and fiber from the sweet potatoes, they really are the perfect veggie though 🙂 .
I used frozen chicken, because I didn’t get them thawed in time. Either will work though. I used my largest 6.5 quart crock to bake the dish in, but a slightly smaller one will work as well, just use less sweet potatoes. If you can’t find cream cheese with chives and onions, I would just mix some fresh, chopped chives with the cream cheese.
Do you have a Garden and need more idea’s to use up those veggies? Here are some great ones.
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- 6 whole Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup divided
- 4-5 medium sweet poatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 medium Yellow Onion peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese with chives and onions
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray (optional) and set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker. Season them with half of the salt and pepper, half of the paprika and rosemary , drizzle half of the maple syrup over the chicken and cover them with all of the chopped onion.
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes on top of the chicken. Season with the remaining half of the salt and pepper, paprika and rosemary and maple syrup.
- Divide the cream cheese into 4 to 5 pats and distribute it evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or until the sweet potatoes are tender and the internal temperature of the chicken registers 165° F on an instant read meat thermometer.
- Carefully stir the melted cream cheese into the dish. Garnish with additional ground paprika and dried rosemary if desired before serving.