Slow Cooker Meatball Sub Sandwiches is an easy meal to get the family to the table. After it is cooked, it is a quick preheat to make on the go.
Being a single mother with two very active kids, sometimes trying to eat on the go is hard. Coming home from work, having 45 minutes and then having to leave again to drive 10 minutes to drop off one and then another 30 minutes to drop off another one makes it hard to make dinner. Or at least make dinner that is good for the kids, within the budget and something they will eat!
I try to make food items that my kids can heat on the go. Homemade Slow Cooker Meatball Sub Sandwiches are one of my daughter’s favorites dinners. And, it is one that she can make as we walk out the door.
I do try to make my own meatballs. Knowing what is in my kids food is a plus for me. I also like rolling the meatballs!
If you are not a big fan of making your own meatballs, you can substitute Frozen Homestyle meatballs. Skip the first step of the recipe (making the meatballs) and add your sauce ingredients to the slow cooker. Top the sauce with the frozen meatballs and allow the slow cooker to do the rest.
I watch the sales on a regular basis to purchase items when they are on sale. Frozen meatballs go on sale near the holidays. They keep for a good 2-3 months in the freezer. I like to purchase when they are under $2 a bag. I try to get 5 or 6 bags and save them for my meatball recipes.
Slow Cooker Meatball Sub Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 pounds Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 medium Egg beaten
- 1 1/4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 6 sandwich buns or rolls
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the meatballs. Form 20-24 meatballs. Set aside.
- In a 5 qt or 6 qt slow cooker, combine the sauce ingredients.
- Place the formed meatballs in the sauce mixture.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.
- Put 3-4 meatballs in each sandwich bun or roll and top with some sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Broil each sandwich for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.