Slow Cooker Pesto Mashed Potatoes, is a simple way to make an exciting mashed potato dish, with delicious pesto. Until I was well versed with my slow cooker, I had never used Pesto before. It’s not something my mother used in our meals growing up. Needless to say I was quite excited to find it was so easy to use. My family loves when it is added to our meals.
This is a rich mashed potato recipe but it’s so easy to make that you’ll never want to go back to potato flakes again. The slow cooker and chicken broth cook down the potatoes so they are easy to mash. The butter, cream cheese, and Parmesan make it creamy, the pesto adds a great flavor and our immersion blender makes this dish so easy to “mash”.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, they are quite affordable and easy to store. I previously had hauled my regular blender downstairs to the dungeon (basement) and my food processor is hidden in a deep dark cupboard because I just don’t use them. The immersion blender I use all the time because it’s so easy to handle and to clean. If you really can’t or don’t want to use an immersion blender you can use a potato masher or a professional mixer .
I love this recipe because it blends the peels down so well you don’t taste or notice them. The most nutritious part of the potato is in the peel, but most of the time we throw it away! With the immersion blender you won’t even realize they’re not peeled because they’re so well pulverized. Love when things are more nutritious!
Slow Cooker Pesto Mashed Potatoes
- 3 Pounds Potatoes White or Red, washed
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/4th Cup Salted Butter
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Jarred Basil Pesto
- Spray Pam
- Spray Slow Cooker with Pam so the potatoes will not stick. Add the washed potatoes, minced garlic and the Chicken Broth.
- Cook on Low for 6 hours. You can cook on high for about 3-4 hours, but watch the sides of the potatoes to make sure they don't burn.
- 30 minutes before the time is up add the butter, cream cheese and Parmesan cheese. Stir in slightly and re-cover for the remaining 30 minutes.
- After that 30 minutes you can use a potato masher or an Immersion Blender to blend. Fold in the Pesto.