This is a great simple Slow Cooker Pulled Pork recipe. The pork comes out moist and tasty and is perfect served as is or top with your favorite BBQ sauce!
Even though you can make pulled pork via many different ways and cooking methods, like in the oven, in the smoker, in the instant pot, or even braised on the stove for several hours, making it in the slow cooker is the easiest method by far. Plus, you won’t be heating up the entire kitchen for several hours like you would if you used the oven.
Tips for Best Results
- Rest the meat before shredding – Try to let the pork sit for an hour after cooking before you shred it. This will maximize the moisture of your meat.
- Strain and add the juices back to the meat – By the end of cooking, you’ll notice that the pork will be sitting in its own juices. Do not throw these juices away! Pour the liquid through a strainer and incorporate it back into the meat. If there is too much liquid for you, reduce it on the stovetop and still include it. Don’t waste the flavor.
- Brown the meat before cooking- Prior to adding the meat into the slow cooker, brown it in a skillet on the stove top on all sides.
Crock-Pot Pulled Pork
- 5 pound boneless pork shoulder
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons Light or Dark Brown Sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Water
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 medium Yellow Onion peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
- Cut any excess fat off the pork shoulder.
- In a bowl, mix brown sugar, black pepper and salt. Rub the mixture over the pork shoulder.
- Place the pork shoulder in the bottom of a 5 qt or 6 qt slow cooker.
- Pour the water around but not over the pork. Place the garlic and onions around the pork on the sides of the bowl.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and shred with two forks into bite size pieces.
- Serve on buns with BBQ sauce on the side.