Slow cooker Queso with Chorizo. Cheesy and spicy dip that goes great with tortilla chips. The Chorizo adds a little “kick” to this dip.
This was my first experience with Chorizo. Heat the chorizo in a skillet over medium heat with the chopped onions and jalapenos. You want the Chorizo browned and the onions transparent. I found that the Chorizo does brown quickly, so you need to stir it continually as not to burn it. Chorizo produces some drippings. Make sure you drain the drippings off before adding it to the dip, otherwise your dip with be greasy.
Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and allow the cheeses to melt and heat. I choose to add the meat at the end, but you can add the meat to the slow cooker and allow the cheese to melt around the Chorizo.
A little chopped fresh green onion to the top and you have a tasty dip. A little fresh Pico de Gallo added on top of the dip would also be very tasty!
Homemade Pico de Gallo
- 1 Medium Tomato, diced
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 Fresh Jalapeno Pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 Springs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Green Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Enjoy!
More recipes to try:
Slow Cooker Queso with Chorizo
- 1 6 oz Chorizo cooked and drained.
- 1 cup Yellow Onion diced
- 2 whole jalapenos diced
- 1 4 oz green chiles
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 8 oz processed Aerican cheese cubed
- 2 1/2 cups half n half
- 1 4 oz queso fresco
- On the stove top, brown the chorizo, onions and jalapenos. Drain any drippings.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a 4 qt or 5 qt slow cooker.
- Heat on LOW for 2 hours.
- Stir in the cooked chorizo.
- Serve with tortilla chips.