I remember growing up and mom making Salisbury Steak for dinner. We did not have it often, but when we did, my sisters and I ate all that we could. It was one of our favorites.
This recipe is that dinner in an easy to make meatballs recipe in the slow cooker!
My mom always made mashed potatoes with her Salisbury Steak dinner. I have made these meatballs with mashed potatoes and also with cooked egg noodles. The extra sauce is great mixed with the noodles or the mashed potatoes.
This is a good recipe to use as an appetizer for a crowd. Serve the meatballs on WARM straight from the slow cooker.
Tips for this recipe:
- I prefer yellow onions for their flavor. Slice a large onion thinly for this recipe. I prefer to slice the onion in half, and then slice in strips.
- Canned mushrooms or fresh button mushrooms can be used for this recipe. The fresh mushrooms will cook nicely in the sauce and are my preferred type of mushroom to use. But in a pinch, use the canned mushrooms.
- Use either turkey or home style frozen meatballs. My kids love the turkey, but the home style are just as good. Add the meatballs frozen to the slow cooker.
More recipes to try:
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak Meatballs
- 32 oz Frozen Homestyle Beef or Turkey Meatballs
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter melted
- 1 Large Yellow Onion thinly sliced
- 8 oz Mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 Cup beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
- Mix melted butter, tomato paste and salt in a 4 qt or 5 qt slow cooker.
- Add onions and mushrooms and stir in beef broth.
- Add the frozen meatballs to the mixture and stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, beat cornstarch and cold water. Quickly stir into the slow cooker
- Increase the heat to the HIGH setting and cook an additional 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.