I have previously made a similar meal to Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken n Rice with my Instant Pot. This time I had more time earlier in the day to make the dish, so the Slow Cooker was perfect to use. The Salsa makes a delicious flavor and smells amazing and yet you can easily make it as mild or hot as your family prefers.
We typically eat Salsa Chicken with rice, but you can also use the chicken for burritos, tacos or skip the rice for chili, chicken taco soup or casseroles. Because I’m not that great of a rice cook when I am going to serve the Salsa Chicken with rice I typically will use a rice cooker to cook the rice unless I’m really short on time (thus minute rice).
We like to use homemade Taco Seasoning for Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken n Rice so I keep a batch on hand. Helps cut down on the sodium and tastes great. I just use a nice jar with a hinged lid to keep the taco seasoning fresh. The recipe as follows:
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder (no salt)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt (sea salt if possible)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Paprika (smoked if possible)
- 1 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp. Ground Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper flakes (pinch or omit for mild)
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper (omit for mild)
To make the Salsa Chicken you will need a Slow Cooker, Mixing Bowl, Shredders, Measuring Spoons, Smoked Paprika, Jar with lid for homemade taco seasoning, or taco seasoning in bulk. Do you need no salt taco seasoning? And a Rice Cooker if you use long grain rice.
Another great taco seasoning recipe! Slow Cooker Easy Taco Soup.
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken n Rice
- 3-4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts 2.5-3 pounds
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 16 Ounces Salsa
- 1 Can (15 oz) Corn Drained
- 2 Cups Rice Cooked
- Cooking Spray
- Spray Slow Cooker with Cooking Spray. Pour half of Salsa into bottom of the Slow Cooker.
- Season the chicken with Salt and Pepper before placing on the Salsa. Sprinkle Taco Seasoning over the chicken (you many want to flip it over to get more of it covered.
- Pour the remaining salsa over the chicken. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Cook on high for 3-4. Check chicken temp. before shredding.
- When Chicken is ready, pull the chicken out into a mixing bowl and shred and then re-add to the salsa mixture. Add the drained can of corn, and recover on low.
- Cook your rice. If you have minute rice I would wait until the chicken is shredded and remixed. If you have a long grain version, I would begin it just before the chicken is finished so they will be ready at about the same time. You will want the corn to be mixed in with the chicken for 15 or so minutes to warm it up. You can microwave the corn for a few minutes ahead of time if necessary and then drain.
- Serve the Shredded Chicken/Salsa/Corn mixture over the rice.