Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes is a simple way to make your meal with minimal effort at the stove and perfect for potlucks and parties. The first time I made it for a Highschool event it was devoured. Kids loved it and it was so easy to transport. Just needed the Slow Cooker, buns, spoon and paper plates.
To make this easier I often use pre-cooked hamburger and onion that I have frozen. I start with 10-20 pounds at a time and cook in the slow cooker with chopped onions. I stir every hour or so until it’s all cooked, drain off the great and freeze. When I do this I find I do a better job at avoiding going to fast food restaurants because I can easily put dinners together with the precooked hamburger. Precooking sausage and ground turkey or chicken works well too.
I typically just use hamburger but if you want to make Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes a bit cheaper you can use ground turkey or chicken. I can find either of those for less than $2 a pound whereas Hamburger is nearly $4 a pound even for the 73%. You can also use ground Bison or Venison. If you need to calm a gamey taste just use part hamburger and part venison. All great ways to be frugal.
You will need a Slow Cooker, Large Frying Pan, Can opener, Cutting Board, Knife, measuring cups/spoons and serving spoon.
Another great sloppy joe recipe! Easy 1-Pot Sloppy Joes
Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Yellow Onion, Diced
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 2 Cans (8 ounces) Tomato Sauce
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 1/4th Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Mustard, prepared
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Molasses
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Hamburger Buns
- Cheese, Pickles, chips and other sides.
- Begin to sauté the onions in the butter, add the hamburger and brown. Drain the fat off. sauté the garlic for 30 seconds. Pour all into the slow cooker.
- Add the Cans of Tomato, Ketchup, Brown Sugar and stir.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, Mustard, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Molasses and Salt/Pepper to taste. Stir in again.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally to keep the sides from getting too hot and burning. Serve on Buns with cheese.