Slow Cooker Taco Rice Soup is another recipe I decided to make to use up my stash of long grain rice that I uncovered. This is a great pantry recipe.
This recipe calls for a newer brand of Black Beans mix called Bushes Black Beans Fiesta Beans. They don’t need to be drained or rinsed and they have some kick to them. If these are not something you can find or you don’t have on hand, Rotel chopped or crushed tomatoes and peppers will work as a different “kick” and thus you swap them out with the stewed tomatoes, and use drained/rinsed black beans instead of the Bushes Fiesta Black Beans.
Be sure to have plenty of chicken broth on hand. The recipe calls for 3-4 cans. You’ll find that if you have leftovers that while in the refrigerator the chicken broth soaks up into the rest of the ingredients. You’ll need to add another 1-2 cans to refresh the soup, so to speak.
I used my Instant Pot to make the rice, using 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. You can also use a rice cooker or just the stove top. The rice can be refrigerated or freshly cooked. Be sure to use long grain rice (the kind in the bags), not Minute Rice.
Slow Cooker Taco Rice Soup
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef browned
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Small Yellow Onion Chopped
- 1 Can (15 oz) Corn Drained
- 2 Cans (16 oz) Kidney Beans Drained
- 2 Cans (15.5 oz) Bushes Black Beans Fiesta Beans, not drained or Black Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 2 Cans (14.5 oz) Stewed or Crushed Tomatoes Can also use Rotel
- 3-4 Cans (14.5 oz) Chicken Broth
- 4 Cups Cooked Long Grain Rice
- Shredded Cheese for Garnish
- Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream
- Place all ingredients into the slow cooker except the rice and chicken broth.
- Add enough chicken broth 3-4 cans to fill the slow cooker up so that you'll just have enough room for the rice when it's ready.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
- Use a Rice Cooker, Instant Pot or on the stove top cook 4 cups of long grain rice per regular instructions. You can do this right before or store for when the soup is ready in the refrigerator. 15 minutes before serving add the cooked rice to the soup.
- Serve with tortilla chips and cheese. I enjoyed adding sour cream to my portion.