I got a great deal on Smoked Sausage, so I grabbed some fresh garden veggies while I was at it, to make a delicious Smoked Sausage and Veggie Skillet. I first sliced the zucchini and squash, onions and tomato. For a shortcut I had washed the potatoes in the dishwasher (Yes I said it!).
I love how inexpensive potatoes are but I hate washing them. Using the dishwasher just on the light cycle (no soap) not only gets them extremely clean, it also gets them partially cooked. Obviously you don’t have to use the dishwasher. Sink and Veggie Scrubbers work just as well. You can cook them longer on the stove top, or pre-cook them for a few minutes in the microwave just to soften them up a bit.
I pulled the potatoes out to cool them, sliced the sausage and quickly chopped up the potatoes. Drizzled Olive oil on my stainless steal frying pan and got to cooking. You’ll cook potatoes, onions and sausage first. Once they are nearly ready, you add the rest of the veggies, more olive oil if needed. Soon you add the butter, bbq sauce and spices.
I served mine over Bow Tie Pasta. Other Pasta would work great, as would rice or even Cauliflower Rice if you are wanting to do low carb. Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cauliflower would also work if you want to swap out to different veggies.
Another great recipe! Slow Cooker Island Kielbasa
Smoked Sausage & Veggie Skillet
- 1 Package (14 oz) Beef Smoked Sausage Sliced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Thinly Sliced
- olive oil
- 4-6 Small Red Potatoes, scrubbed Thinly Sliced
- 3 Small Zucchini Thinly Sliced
- 2 Small Yellow Squash Thinly Sliced
- 2 Medium Tomato's Seeds, and mushy pulp removed. Sliced into chunks
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Cup Honey BBQ Sauce
- Salt & pepper To taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mrs. Dash, Original
- 1 Box Pasta Penne, Rigatoni, Bow Tie or Egg Noodle
- Partially cook potatoes either in your microwave for 5 minutes or a different alternative to just soften them a little bit, baked potato style then thinly Slice after they are partially cooked.
- Slice the rest of the veggies, thin, and the Smoked Sausage.
- Drizzle Olive Oil onto a large frying pan. I used a stainless steel, copper bottom frying pan. Start out with the Onions, Potatoes and Sausage to cook at first. Add a little more olive oil if necessary. I cooked on medium heat to keep it from burning.
- When the onions are turning translucent, add the rest of the veggies and the butter. Continue to stir. After 5-8 minutes add the BBQ sauce and spices (salt and pepper to taste). During this time cook your pasta (or rice) if you are choosing to serve it with pasta.
- You want the veggies well cooked, the potatoes will take the longest out of everything to cook. Continue to stir constantly. You'll want the sauce to thicken up just a bit. When the potatoes are soft enough to eat it should be ready to eat.
- Serve by itself or over the pasta.