Zuppa Toscana Soup
I don’t do it often, but at least once a month or once every couple of months, the kids and I go out to eat. Usually, it involves me having a gift card to a restaurant. But, every once in a while, we like to go to Olive Garden. I love that they give you so much for your money that a dinner out involves at least a couple take home boxes with leftovers.
Olive Garden has great soups. One of my favorites is Zuppa Toscana. Where there is a will, there is a way to make something just as good at home. And, I have that will. I searched and found a few recipes online. But, a co-worker gave me her tried and true recipe. This is that recipe with just a little more sausage added.
As simple as this is, the taste is out of this world. I ate this soup every day for lunch!
- I buy minced garlic by the jar. This is found in the produce isle of the store. I love fresh garlic, but sometimes I can not use it all before it sprouts. I found it is cheaper for me to buy the minced garlic in the store. It also saves me time.
- I have a stock up price on canned broth. When the cans go on sale, I purchase at least 24 cans of the broth. Sometimes more. It is always good to have a stock up price for products you use a lot of and especially ones that store well.
More recipes like this:
Zuppa Toscana Soup
- 1.5 Pound Italian Sausage
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 4 Medium Russet Potatoes cleaned, peeled and diced
- 1/8 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Bunch Kale stems removed, ruffly chopped
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- In a skillet, brown the sausage, garlic and onions. Crumble the meat and drain any drippings.
- Add the cooked sausage, chicken broth, diced potatoes, salt and broth to a stock pot. Heat on medium heat to boiling and the reduce the heat.
- Cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Stir in the whipping cream and chopped Kale. Cook on low heat for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with bread and topped with shredded Parmesan cheese.