What makes this recipe so different than other Rice Casserole Dishes?
Cheesy Chicken & Yellow Rice Casserole uses yellow rice instead of White or Brown Rice. You can get yellow rice very affordably at your local grocery store. There are several common brands. Vigo and Mahatma are the most common where I live. You can also find it in bulk, and Zatarain’s has a great box version. Like most of my recipes this is not a recipe that has to be exact. I used a 5 ounce bag. Feel free to use a slightly larger version if that’s what you can find. You may need to add a bit more cheddar cheese, but there really shouldn’t be much difference in measurements when you’re only adding a few more ounces of rice.
Can I Double this recipe?
Yes! You absolutely can double this recipe. Whether you use 2 bags of rice, or use a family size Yellow Zatarain’s Box version it should work just fine. Be sure you have a large enough casserole dish, double all of the ingredients and expect that it will need to cook at least the full 30 minutes.
How do I change this recipe up?
Cheesy Chicken & Yellow Rice Casserole can be adapted in ways besides just doubling the recipe. You can use Mexican Corn instead of regular corn. A well rinsed, drained can of black beans can be added. A drained small can of Diced Green Chilies. Even adding a teaspoon or two of dried, crushed red flakes into the mix. We’d love to hear what you come up with!
Another yummy “yellow” dish: Zucchini n Yellow Squash Casserole
A great dessert: Apple Pie Cake
Cheesy Chicken & Yellow Rice Casserole
- 1 Sauce Pan Medium to large
- 1 Large Sauté Pan
- 1 Casserole Dish
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Cooked, shredded Chicken
- 1 5 oz Yellow Rice 5 oz package before cooked
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Can Corn, Drained
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Pam Spray
- Sauté Chopped Onions in the Tbsp of Butter, add Shredded, Cooked Chicken and rewarm.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- Cook the Rice according to the package.
- Spray Casserole Dish with Pam
- Combine the rice with the onions, shredded chicken, drained corn, can of cream of chicken and melted butter.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole dish. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Top with the shredded Cheese after. You can let it rest for a few minutes to melt or broil for just a few minutes. It's now ready to serve!.