We love having baked beans as a family and this dish is no different, Slow Cooker Bacon Baked Beans uses three different meats to make a hearty baked bean dish. We will eat it for days; first as the main dish and then as lunch and side dish after. I love to make a great corn bread to go with it too.
Now to make this easier to put together, sometimes I precook hamburger and sausage. Cooking it separately in the slow cooker, drain the grease, place in quart size freezer ziploc bags and freeze them. Then just pull them out and thaw to use in the dish. If I do this, I’ll shred the onion instead of chop so it will cook faster. Only cooking for 4 hours it needs to be sautéed if the onion is chopped.
Now my favorite way to cook bacon is in the oven. I used to do it on the stove top or an electric frying pan, but it made such a mess that I dreaded. Once I realized you could bake it, I was ecstatic. Now they don’t curl up, nor am I dealing with bacon splatter. If you save your bacon grease you’ll still be able to salvage it when you oven bake.
If you need to put together the entire dish at once and walk away you can add the cooked bacon at the same time as the rest of the ingredients for your Slow Cooker Bacon Baked Beans. When you will be at home , I would wait until the last hour to add the bacon., The Bacon appearance is better when it hasn’t been cooked down too much.
To put this together you’ll need a good Slow Cooker, Frying Pan, Cutting Board, Knives, Measuring cups/spoons, Cookie Sheet (for bacon if you choose) and a can opener. I use a basic 8 by 8 Pyrex glass pan to make the corn bread.
Another great Bean Recipe! Slow Cooker Refried Beans.
Slow Cooker Bacon Baked Beans
- 1/2 Pound Ground Hamburger Browned
- 1/2 Pound Ground Sausage Browned
- 1/2 Pound bacon Cooked
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Ketchup
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Brown sugar
- 1 (19.5 oz)Can Pork and Beans Or larger
- 1 (15.5oz) can Beans of your picking Kidney, Garbanzo, Red, Navy
- Brown Sausage, Ground Hamburger and the bacon. Sauté the chopped onions with the meat. Break up the bacon into bite size pieces.
- Place the beans, condiments, brown sugar, spices, vinegar and meat into the slow cooker. You can hold off on the bacon if you wish. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Can stir on occasion to keep from scorching if needed.
- If you've waited on the bacon I would fold it in, in the last hour. Either will taste great, but waiting will insure the bacon will still look great.